In addition to our guidance around protecting your mobile devices, the following are tips specific to Apple devices:
- Enable the Auto Lock and Require Passcode feature. Doing so automatically locks your screen after the designated number of minutes and then requires the passcode to be entered to unlock the screen. We recommend Auto Lock be set for no longer than 5 minutes.
- When you set your passcode on an iPhone, turn off the simple passcode feature to create a stronger password for your device.
- Consider enabling Data Erase, which will erase all data from your phone after a certain number of failed attempts at the passcode. The recommended limit of attempts is 10. This protects your data if someone is trying to break into your device. As long as you regularly back up your device, you will not lose your data.
- Set up "Find my iPhone" to help you locate your phone if it gets lost and to remotely wipe information from the iPhone.
- Only connect to networks you trust. To ensure you don't randomly connect to available Wi-Fi networks, set the Ask to Join Networks function.
- As with web applications, create separate accounts and passwords for each app on your phone. Avoid using a social app, like Twitter, as the login for other applications.
- For more information about how to protect your Apple device, visit the Apple security page.
Additional Resources on Mobile Security: